Date:      Mon, 13 Aug 2001 14:24:09 +0200
From:      Christoph Sold <so@i-clue.de>
To:        NS Kandah <nkandah@nc.rr.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: preparing to install

NS Kandah wrote:

>I am dying to put FreeBSD on my primary home machine. It currently has two
>IDE drives, both on the primary IDE controller, a master and a slave. The
>slave currently has Redhat Linux 7.1 on it. I want to put FreeBSD on the
>slave, and I tried it before, but after the installation was completed,
>successfully I presume, I was not presented with a boot manager so I can
>fire up my FreeBSD install.
>
>I need to install the boot manager in the MBR of the primary master drive,
>correct? Do I also need to install it in the MBR of the primary slave? I
>never understood my mistake the last time I attempted a dual boot Win98 /
>FreeBSD machine. Any insights would be most appreciated.

The default boot manager (BootEasy) needs to be installed on the master
drive to locate Linux and the second disk. If there is only FreeBSD on
the second drive, a standard boot block is enough.

Alternatively, install OS-BS from the tools directory off any FreeBSD
CD-ROM or mirror.

HTH
-Christoph Sold