Date:      Tue, 11 Feb 2003 20:29:17 +0100
From:      marius@alchemy.franken.de
To:        Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@Leidinger.net>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG, Mike Makonnen <mtm@identd.net>
Subject:   Re: named & chroot & rcNG & devfs

On Tue, Feb 11, 2003 at 06:59:31PM +0100, Alexander Leidinger wrote:
> Hi,
>
> /etc/rc.d/named copies /dev with pax to the named chroot directory. This
> is obviously wrong with devfs, isn't it?

/etc/rc.d/named is quite bogus, especially when it comes to running bind
chrooted. E.g. /dev/null isn't needed by bind8 at all (also checked with
ktrace), not sure about bind9 though as it uses daemon(3) which tries to
open it. On the other hand shared libraries are needed (or a port that
supports linking bind statically...) and a copy of named itself if
`ndc restart` shall work. Moreover, due to the hardcoded patch for copy-
ing named-xfer it also doesn't work with the bind[8,9] ports, tweaking
rc-scripts to run with ports is NetBSD-style but not as FreeBSD used to
be... A designated option to make syslogd(8) pick up an additional
/etc/namedb/var/run/log would also be nice.
Mike Makonnen is aware of the brokenness at least I mailed him about it
quite some time ago, before rcNG was turned on by default.

FYI, a working bind8-chroot I use on 4-stable boxes looks like this:
quad# ls -R /etc/namedb/
PROTO.localhost-v6.rev
PROTO.localhost.rev
etc