Date:      Mon, 6 Mar 2000 20:37:40 -0800 (PST)
From:      wellsian <wellsian@caffeine.com>
To:        Jim Mock <jim@luna.cdrom.com>
Cc:        Dino Memic <sdm1@home.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PowerPC

If you heard of it being done then you probably heard about people trying
FreeBSD on a wintel emulator, like VirtualPC or SoftWindows. Those work to
varying degrees but they're emulators and will be much slower than a
similarly powered intel box. There was a recent thread here about troubles
running 3.4 on one of the emulators even though the vendor claimed to
support FreeBSD. I'd look for success stories before shelling out for
anything.

On the less pessimistic side, I have seen (long ago) people running
RedHat, Windows98, and NT, all on a Mac with one or another emulator or
intel coprocessor card (ala Orange Micro). So it can be done, but many
would ask if it's worth the effort. ~$350 makes a darn nice intel box for
messing around and you can install natural versions of whatever.

Dave