Date:      Thu, 29 Jun 1995 13:17:14 -0400 (EDT)
To:        sos@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: your mail

On Thu, 29 Jun 1995 sos@freebsd.org wrote:

[re: IDE CDROM driver]
> What I'd like to know a little more about is how it coexists
> with "normal" disks on the same controller ?? This is VERY
> important as most IDE PC's come with the disk as master and the
> CDROM as slave on the SAME controller. This ultimately mandates
> that the driver should be able to handle both disks and CDROM's,
> or we will once again have two drivers talking to the same
> hardware (that does sound familliar though :-( ), which won't
> work very well, if at all.

Are you sure about this "most" rating? Admittedly we're a Gateway-centric
shop here, but the machines we have bought from them with IDE CD ROMs not
only come with their own IDE controllers, but claim in the documentation
that using them on the same controller will result in poor performance.
Similarly, the few IDE CD ROMs I have looked at in the store all came
with their own IDE controllers.