Date:      Mon, 27 Jun 2005 13:39:31 -0700
From:      Vizion <vizion@vizion.occoxmail.com>
To:        freebsd-java@freebsd.org
Cc:        Frank Staals <f.staals@zonnet.nl>

On Monday 27 June 2005 12:19,  the author Frank Staals contributed to the
dialogue on-
 Re: Eclipse - plugin ports tree & mailing list query:

>Vizion wrote:
>>Hi
>>
>>I am wondering if anyone knows of any plans to maintain, within the ports
>>tree, a plugin sub-tree for eclipse. In view of the enormous and ever
>>increasing value of eclipse as a development tool, such a move could be a
>>valuable resource for the freebsd community.
>>
>>Secondly does anyone else feel there is some justification for a
>>freebsd-eclipse@freebsd.org mailing list?
>>
>>Reactions please
>>
>>David
>>

>>40 yrs navigating and computing in blue waters.
>>English Owner & Captain of British Registered 60' bluewater Ketch S/V
>> Taurus. Currently in San Diego, CA. Sailing  bound for Europe via Panama
>> Canal when new engine installed.
>
>I think an sole category for the eclipse-plugins wouldn't be very
>usefull since eclipse 3.1 has an easy system to manually add plugins. It
>will donwload and install them automatically.
That is true BUT eclipse plugins are located all over the net and some plugins
do need tailoring for correct installation for multi-user operation on a
freebsd system.

>For a freebsd-eclipse mailinglist: also that Idea seams a litle too
>much, the amount of questions here at java @ freeBSd.org isn't that high
>so the questions about eclipse can be just here in my opinion
I think that has been true so far -- but I am hoping that having a
freebsd-eclipse mailing list will facilitate co-operation between eclipse
users generally and the freebsd community and reduce, what I experience, as a
negative attitude towards eclipse on freebsd by the IBM centric eclipse
development team. That team has, in my opinion not yet, migrated its thinking
towards a generally open source approach which treats all operating systems
as equal. They still carry the notion of "supported systems" and
"non-supported" operating systems and when a user of a "non supported OS
reports a bug the team then responds by saying they cannot look at it because
it is a non-supported OS user. My view is we need an eclipse focused mailing
list to draw the eclipse team into feeling that freebsd users recognize and
contributes positively to the eclipse deveopment cycle.

David