Date:      Thu, 4 Apr 2002 15:43:32 +0200
From:      Martin Kaeske <Martin.Kaeske@Stud.TU-Ilmenau.DE>
To:        FreeBSD-Stable <stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Panic on 'kldunload snd'

On Wed, Apr 03, 2002 at 03:13:03PM -0500, Chris BeHanna wrote:
> On Wed, 3 Apr 2002, Andrew Boothman wrote:
>
> > Hi Folks!
> >
> > I just started playing with all those modules that are compiled during
> > buildkernel, and was very pleased to see my SoundBlaster AWE64 correctly
> > probed and configured when I did a 'kldload snd'.
> >
> > However, I was (slightly) less pleased to discover that a consequent
> > 'kldunload snd' paniced the kernel. This is on a (cvsuped last night)
> > -STABLE box.
>
>     Do you, perchance, have sound compiled into your kernel?  There
> was a bug with kldload and kldunload when loading and unloading a
> module that was already compiled into the kernel, that would manifest
> itself as a panic when you tried the kldunload (usually when you were
> rebooting, which is how I tripped over it).

Hello,
I have a similar problem with tdfx.ko. It was installed by
/usr/ports/graphics/drm-kmod and is loaded by drm-kmod's boot-script.
All is fine if i shutdown the system normally but if i kldunload the
tdfx module manually the kernel panics.
I always thought it was related to 3dfx hardware but if it happens
with the snd module as well, there is maybe a problem in the module system.

Martin

--
Mal davon ab, das hier weder C++ noch Visual Basic Ontopic sind,
warum will man denn C++ nach VB konvertieren? Ist C++ zu schnell?