Date:      Wed, 03 Jan 2018 19:13:56 -0700
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Intel hardware bug

It's a huge fail. One can apparently use speculative execution to create memory
leaks. Some Intel processors without speculative execution - such as the
Atom CPUs (including the embedded ones) - won't be affected,
whereas the bigger,
fancier i3, i5, i7, and Xeon processors will. It's unclear on which side of the
line the Atom C2000 series (which had out-of-order but not
speculative execution)
will lie.

Hopefully, when FreeBSD develops kernel patches to address the bug, it will
exempt the unaffected processors. (I do a lot of work for embedded
Atoms, and hope
that they will not be slowed by patches intended for CPUs that actually need
them.)

--Brett Glass