Date:      Mon, 31 Aug 1998 21:44:19 -0700 (MST)
From:      "Chad R. Larson" <chad@freebie.dcfinc.com>
To:        mike@smith.net.au (Mike Smith)
Cc:        chad@dcfinc.com, mike@smith.net.au, don@calis.BlackSun.org, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Looking for feedback on xl (3c905/3c905B) driver

> > > Tracking either -stable or -current without reading the logs is like
> > > anything else your mother warned you about.
> >
> > This seems like an escalation of responsibility for the user.
>
> I guess that depends on what counts as escalation.  There's a tradeoff
> between how much you're willing to risk vs. how much work you're
> willing to do to avoid it.  As I mentioned, I'm fairly certain that
> Bill mentioned in his announcement about the xl driver that it replaced
> the vx driver for the hardware it supports.

As I mentioned in mail to Bill, I subscribe to and read the -stable
mailing list.  Nothing in it jumped out and said, "after Aug 24, if you
build a new kernel your existing network interface will quit working."

As you pointed out in earler e-mail, PCI device drivers imply a
mutual exclusion, which means the upgrade was not optional.

I'm probably thick, but I claim that was not obvious to a
more-than-casual user.

	-crl
--
Chad R. Larson (CRL15)   602-953-1392   Brother, can you paradigm?
chad@dcfinc.com chad@larsons.org chad@anasazi.com larson1@home.net