Date:      Fri, 17 Mar 2000 21:30:31 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        j_mckitrick@bigfoot.com (J McKitrick)
Cc:        brett@lariat.org (Brett Glass), rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in (Rahul Siddharthan), freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: On "intelligent people" and "dangers to BSD"

> How does he suggest that people who love programming make a living?
> Waiting tables on the weekends?  :(

There are two possibilities:

1)	You are not a professional programmer, but a hobbiest,
	and you write code because you enjoy doing it.  You
	don't get paid for it, the same as a painter should
	not be paid for his art, because a dilletante should
	have to do honest work for their money.

2)	You work in a job-shop, where groups of companies band
	together to pay code-whores to make changes to exisiting
	programs, and, very rarely, to get them to write new
	code, but all this code is released into the public
	domain (patent and copyright law having been abolished,
	and shipping binaries without source having been made a
	capitol offense).

3)	You are Richard Stallman or some other ivory tower type
	who is paid to do Real Computer Science Research(tm)
	for the sake of the research itself; a member of a tiny
	cadre of Professor Emerti, gradual students, and plain
	old students with too much time on their hands because
	they are taking fewer credit hours than they should be
	taking to make effective use of the money Society owns
	and is investing in them for the benefit of the future
	of Society.

I think that's about all there is to it...

> I'm going to school because i hope to make a living doing what i love,
> and getting paid for it, even if that pay is modest in comparison to
> other fields.

Some would say that the amount of money there is in High Technology
these day is attracting a large number of people who are passing
Colledge with the minimum effort, turning degrees into something
more akin to Union Cards, and thereafter flooding the market with
people with credentials who are unable to actually solve problems
using computers.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---