Date:      Thu, 30 May 2002 17:51:50 +0300
From:      Juha-Matti Liukkonen <jml@cubical.fi>
To:        Graham Wright <graham.wright@raleigh.hcl.com>
Cc:        freebsd-small@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Pro's and Con's of FreeBSD vs Linux for embedded systems?

Hi,

in my experience, there are a few deciding factors involved... Any or
all of these may apply in a given scenario.

o if you need a small footprint GUI with little or no work, go linux. It
has microwindows (which doesn't work with freebsd out-of-the-box).

o if you need Java, go linux. Sun explicitly provides jdk for linux,
availability for freebsd has been less stable due to various reasons.

o if you need top-of-the-line PC gadget drivers, go linux. They just
ain't there for freebsd (although the quality of the linux ones often
tends to be a bit shaky).

o if you want non-ix86 cpu support, re-enter this list comparing linux
and netbsd (which is a bsd and runs on anything with silicon in it).
FreeBSD is ix86 only (alpha isn't really a consideration in embedded
systems, and the powerpc support isn't there yet).

o if you want (or need) to modify the system sources for your
application, go *bsd. It isn't GPL.

o if you want (or need) your box to be a bulletproof back-end system
(ie. no GUI, reliable, efficient, secure, networked), go *bsd. The code
base is maintained so much better, it is more robust, updates are easy
to manage and review due to their consistency and quality, (...lots of
other reasons).

o if you want added advertising value, go linux -- it _is_ better known,
particularly to the consumer public and traditionally windows-hosted
server and appliance markets.

We use freebsd because we do networked back-end (ix86) boxes, but if we
ever had to do consumer applications with GUIs, I wouldn't scoff on
linux either.

Br,
Jussi

PS. If anybody wants to dissuade my linux recommendations wrt GUI and
Java support for small footprint systems, please do so; I see a need for
those in my future and I'd rather stick with one base system for
logistical reasons.

--
Juha-Matti Liukkonen, Cubical Solutions Ltd
Phone: +358(0)405280142