Date:      Wed, 4 Aug 1999 00:49:35 -0400
From:      "Eric A. Griff" <eric@setjmp.com>
To:        <advocacy@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: advocacy site

----- Original Message -----
From: Jim Mock <jim@blues.ghis.net>
To: <advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG>
Sent: Tuesday, August 03, 1999 7:59 PM
Subject: advocacy site

> Hi folks,
>
> Just a note to let everyone know that I've just talked with Jordan and
> we both have agreed that since the advocacy web site has gotten stale
> due to lack of time and volunteers, it was time to officially put it
> to rest.  Jordan has made the changes needed to the DNS, and it should
> completely vanish within the next 48 hours.
>
> We're hoping to get the parts that are still useful into the main web
> site somewhere, and also add in any parts that aren't on the main
> site.  This came as somewhat of a last resort, and as Jordan said, and
> I agreed with, no advocacy site is better than a stale one.
>
> - Jim

Bummer,
    Just wondering, how dynamic was the site? (IE, how easy to add/change
content?)   Would  the problem having to do with people having to hand edit
pages, and links, and such?

    From experience, strong backends that automate  a lot make it a lot
easier for people to update a site and more willing... IE uploading pages
from a form for example...

    This is one of the reasons I use ColdFusion a lot.. Makes fast
development of dynamic sites a lot faster (coming soon to a linux near
you)..

    I am also going to send a followup email to Allaire, since I have
recieved no response from them as of yet. This is a very powerful tool, and
we need it.. And I think they do too.. From recent experience, I wouldn't
want to be in there shoes, when their phones start ringing for support for
linux confusions unrelated to coldfusion, it's gonna bite them.. It's a heck
of a lot easier to find things and walk people through them on the FreeBSD
side =)  I think the worst part of linux is finding where things are.... I
have better luck on NT, ROTFLMAO

Eric A. Griff <eric@setjmp.com>, http://www.setjmp.com
setjmp Software                   Your source for custom
181 Genesee Street            Software Solutions.
Suite 504
Utica, NY 13501
ICQ# 28146852
Office: (315) 734-1668 Extension 205