Date:      Wed, 18 Sep 1996 15:25:53 +0000 ()
From:      David Nugent <davidn@sdev.blaze.net.au>
To:        francis yeung <fyeung@netific.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: getty and autobaud

On Tue, 17 Sep 1996, francis yeung wrote:

>	Does FreeBSD getty supports auto speed detection ?

I would imagine so, if you set up /etc/gettytab to cycle through
baud rates. Framing errors would normally cause the cycle.

>	file /etc/gettytab states Auto-baud is for Micom 600 only.
>	What should I do in order to setup a 28.8 modem which
>	will automatically detect a 14.4 dialin ?

If you're running fast modems, don't worry about it. Just leave
the port at the one speed and let the modem handle the buffering
and speed adjustment. If you have 28.8k modems, run the ports all
at 57600 or 115200 and leave it at that - it'll work fine
(assuming that you have enabled flow control both on the modem -
usually &K3 - and with the tty - crtscts).

David Nugent, Unique Computing Pty Ltd - Melbourne, Australia
Voice +61-3-791-9547 Data/BBS +61-3-792-3507 3:632/348@fidonet
davidn@blaze.net.au http://www.blaze.net.au/~davidn