Date:      Fri, 23 Jun 1995 02:22:12 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        amoss@cs.huji.ac.il (Amos Shapira)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD as a router

> "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com> wrote:
> |here.  Works just fine, though FreeBSD could use some routing code
> |overhauls (performance wise it does not make a very fast router :-().
>
> Eh??  Sorry to hear that.  A major part of my interest in FreeBSD over
> Linux (besides getting back to good old 4.2BSD/4.3Tahoe days :) is
> that I though it is a tiger in networking.

I think you have miss understood.  I was talking about using FreeBSD
with 4 100BaseTX ethernet cards as a low cost router, when you compare
that to a dedicated hardware router like a Cisco it makes us look bad.

But then compare any general purpose computer being used as a router
to the dedicated CPU per NIC + special NIC and all sorts of other fun
and games that go on in a real router and they all look bad.

> Will NetBSD fair better?  Is there any work being done on this?

No, no *BSD will ever compare to the hardware that the router companies
sell, unless it happens to be running on similiar hardware!

Though there is room for some improvement in our current code, it will
only be slight improvements without going to some special hardware.