Date:      Wed, 20 Dec 2000 09:31:49 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matt Dillon <dillon@earth.backplane.com>
To:        Reddy Crashalott <autoretributionmeowbot@free-N0rp.netscum.dk>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: New performance patch available for testing on stable

    I have another patch set available. #6

	http://apollo.backplane.com/FreeBSD4/

    (I'm working on a -current version of the patch.  It takes a bit of time,
    I have to do it by hand).

    The previous patchset tried to pageout too much, which greatly effects
    load on heavily loaded machines.  I wound up having to put the
    maxlaunder code back in but with some mods to deal with the opposite
    situation that Yahoo faces with all their dirty MAP_NOSYNC pages.  News
    systems tend to have a huge number of recycleable 'clean' pages while
    Yahoo's machines tend to have a huge number of 'dirty' pages.

    I would first try the patch without any additional hacks, except perhaps
    for some tuning (via sysctl) of vm.v_cache_min and vm.max_launder.  I
    would suggest raising vm.v_cache_min (don't raise it past vm.v_cache_max
    though or also raise vm.v_cache_max), and perhaps dropping vm.max_launder
    from 32 to 16.

					-Matt