Date:      Sun, 9 Apr 2000 20:55:49 +0100
From:      Mark Ovens <mark@ukug.uk.freebsd.org>
To:        Will Andrews <andrews@technologist.com>
Cc:        Steve Price <sprice@hiwaay.net>, freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Chat charter Was: Re: FreeBSD jobs in Nashville, TN (fwd)

On Sat, Apr 08, 2000 at 11:14:40PM -0400, Will Andrews wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 08, 2000 at 05:29:04PM -0500, Steve Price wrote:
> > Pardon the interruption.  I hope the charter of this list is
> > loose enough that posting this here as well won't get me flamed
> > too bad. :)  Just in case, please direct *all* replies (including
> > flames) to me and not the list.
>
> As far as I know, the freebsd-chat charter is simply "Anything can be
> posted to this mailing list, and it need not even be remotely related to
> FreeBSD."  This certainly has proven true, given that !$%@ stupid thread
> about guns and stuff like that. :-)

You may well think that the guns thread was !$%@ stupid, and I can
imagine many (most?) Americans are fed up discussing gun law, however
since freebsd-chat is frequented (mainly) by intelligent, educated
people it is an ideal place, IMHO, for such discussions as the quality
of the information/opinions posted is equally high (I found the thread
on guns very enlightening and gained an interesting insight into
American attitudes towards firearms).

Several people have suggested that that thread was too OT, even for
-chat. If that is the consensus of opinion why not created another
list (freebsd-social?) where FreeBSD (or indeed computer) related
topics are the exception rather than the rule? That way those who wish
to discuss guns, fine wines, ancient Tibetan proverbs, or the mating
ritual of the Budweiser frogs can do so without stepping on anyone
else's toes.

Just my two pen'orth

> --
> Will Andrews <andrews@technologist.com>
> ?O M+ V-- PS+ PE++ Y+ PGP+>+++ t++ 5 X++ R+ tv+ b++>++++ DI+++ D+

        ...and on the eighth day God created UNIX