Date:      Wed, 6 Dec 2000 11:49:24 -0800 (PST)
From:      Rich Wales <richw@webcom.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Cc:        "Patrick M. Hausen" <hausen@punkt.de>
Subject:   Re: console (XF86 3.3.6) dumps core with des root password

Several weeks ago, Patrick Hausen reported a problem with "xconsole"
core-dumping under "wdm" if he used a DES-encrypted root password.

I ran into the same problem with "xconsole", but I'm using "xdm" and
an MD5-encrypted root password (4.1-RELEASE and 4.2-RELEASE).

After fiddling around with the XFree86 code a bit, I managed to
narrow the problem down to XFree86's _XGetpwuid() wrapper macro,
and I also came up with a workaround.  I added the following lines
to my /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xdm/Xsetup_0 startup script, just before
the "xconsole" invocation:

			export USER=root
			export HOME=/root

Actually, I suspect it's probably enough just to set HOME.  The
relevant portion of "xconsole" is trying to get the home directory
path name -- if possible from $HOME, or else from $USER (followed
by an OS-specific-wrapped getpwnam() call), or via getuid() and a
wrapped getpwuid() call if neither of these environment variables is
set.  Apparently, there's something wrong with the way _XGetpwuid()
is being expanded for the FreeBSD environment.

I've reported this problem to the XFree86 people.  I also submitted
a FreeBSD PR (misc/23168), though this report got shot down on the
grounds that X isn't part of the FreeBSD base system.  (I did post
a followup to my PR, with the above workaround, just in case anyone
else with the problem goes looking for help in the GNATS database.)

Rich Wales         richw@webcom.com         http://www.webcom.com/richw/