Date:      Mon, 20 Mar 2000 20:29:13 -0800
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@3-cities.com>
To:        Sarton O'Brien <sobrien@quicksilver.co.nz>
Cc:        "questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: ppp gateway, speed and xfer rate determined how?

Sarton O'Brien wrote:

> Howdy,
>
> I have a FreeBSD gateway with user ppp configured for my home LAN.
>
> Works great, no problems but the speed does seem a little slow.
>
> I was wondering how do I go about finding out the connection speed and
> determining how fast the tranfer rate is.

I have a little aliases that does the following

speed   cat /var/log/ppp.log | grep ARQ |  tail -1
status  (pppctl /var/run/internet show phy)

Only root on my system can check the status. It will tell you the
latest transfer rate information.

> Also I was curious as to what factors hinder PPPs performance. This box
> has very little RAM and a couple of daemons running, tetrinet-x, apache,
> postgres postmaster, qmail + tcpserver and sshd.  OKay, a few more than
> a couple but I figure they lay dormant most of the time.

I run setiathome, which keeps the cpu at 100%. I start it such that
almost anything such as ppp has a higher priority. I see rates from
100's char/sec to 12KB/s or more depending on how much compression can
be used between the modems. If I get a 46.66kb or lower connection, I
usually drop ppp and have it redial.

Kent

> I have observerd top during an ftp from my work, I am 3 hops from my
> desktop\laptop and connected to a 2M line, the only bottleneck is the
> modem. Top reported next to nothing in activity or memory usage.
>
> I have a Dynalink 56k modem, the gateway is a 486dx2-66 (a compaq
> prolinea *cringe*) with 8Mb on board (embedded) and 8Mb additional, so
> 16Mb total.

<snip>

--
Kent Stewart