Date:      Fri, 23 Jun 2000 09:28:12 -0600
From:      Joe.Warner@smed.com
To:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org, freebsd-advocacy@freebsd.org
Subject:   Some questions re: FreeBSD

I hope I'm sending this to the correct mailing lists.  Please forgive me if
I am not.  I have a couple of questions regarding FreeBSD that I hope
someone will help me address.
     After recently installing FreeBSD on a Compaq Deskpro 2000 at work and
setting it up with various applications and servers, Apache and FTP to name
a couple, I've had the opportunity to demonstrate to others that I work
with a small portion of the vast amount of things this powerful operating
system can do.  The response has been tremendous and also, a little
overwhelming.  Most of my co-workers think it's awesome.  They couldn't
believe all the functionality built into FreeBSD and the huge number of
applications that come with the CD ROM set.  They also were surprised to
learn that you can download the OS and most of the applications for free.
Here's where I'm having some trouble ---  Some of the most frequent
questions I'm getting are: "If you can do all this with FreeBSD and get
everything for free, why isn't everybody using it?"  Another one is:  "This
is an excellent OS but if people can get it for free, how do the people
that produce it make any money?"  or.."How can they produce such an
excellent product and support it without any profits?"  I'm having trouble
addressing these questions because my understanding of the current Open
Source Movement is a bit limited and the topic seems fairly complex to me.
I would be so grateful if someone could help me provide some good answers
to these questions or point me to a related site?

Thanks.

Joe