Date:      Tue, 8 Oct 2002 15:16:37 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Nate Lawson <nate@root.org>
To:        Robert Johannes <rjohanne@piper.hamline.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-scsi <scsi@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Adding a second scsi drive

On Mon, 7 Oct 2002, Robert Johannes wrote:
> I just physically installed a second scsi drive.  It is a quantum viking
> II 9.1 gig, target 6, lun0.  The scsi controller is tekram's xx875, using
> the sym driver.  The driver sees the drive as da1, recognizes the
> cyl/heads/sectors, and all that stuff.
>
> When I try to add the drive to freebsd (4.7-Prerelease, which I think is
> 4.6-stable) using /stand/sysinstall, fdisk fails saving the label to
> disk, and so does disklabel.
>
> If I try it via the command line, with dd and disklabel, I get
> "/dev/da1: permission denied".  I know that the drive is not write
> protected, because the jumber is not installed to write protect it.  It is
> also a new drive.
>
> Is there a step I'm missing?  My intuition tells me that maybe there's
> nothing at /dev/da1, but if that's the case, then the system should not
> report in the boot messages that there's a da1?
>
> Help would ve very appreciated.
>
> robert

I think there are several problems with sysinstall.  One I know of is that
if you take an existing partition and change its type, sysinstall will
fail to label that disk.  There's a PR for this with patch that I will
look at shortly.  There are other problems with sysinstall that I've seen
for a long time that have not been fixed either.

Try other ways of using disklabel manually as shown on the man page.  I
don't know what you mean by "dd and disklabel" since disklabel by itself
should be enough to initialize the label.  Are you saying "dd if=/dev/zero
of=/dev/da1 bs=512" gives EPERM?

-Nate