Date:      Thu, 20 Mar 2003 19:32:29 -0500 (EST)
From:      Trevor Johnson <trevor@jpj.net>
To:        "Scott R." <reverend@sfmidimafia.com>
Cc:        Doug Barton <DougB@freebsd.org>, "Scott A. Moberly" <smoberly@karamazov.org>, ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Netscape 7.02?

Scott R. wrote:

> Actually, there is no particular reason.  The reason I thought of it was
> because I would rather not use a "forbidden" piece of software and I
> thought maybe the update to 7.02 might take care of the security bug.

It's easy to test for the bug I mentioned.  Just browse to
<URL:http://members.ping.de/~sven/mozbug/refcook.html>; and follow the
instructions.  The bug for which I marked the port FORBIDDEN is that when
browsing a hostile Web page, information can be retrieved from a Web
server on a private, non-routable, RFC 1918-style network (intranet)  and
sent back to the hostile server.  I've heard that this can happen with any
browser that implements Javascript.  Short of disabling Javascript, there
is a work-around for this bug in the release notes (URL in FORBIDDEN
line).  If you don't have an intranet or don't care who can read Web pages
from it, then you needn't worry about it.  The forward referrer bug has to
do with a hostile Web site getting a list of the URLs (including files)
you browse after going to the hostile site.  There's a workaround
described on the demonstration page, or you can avoid this bug too by
disabling Javascript.
--
Trevor Johnson