Date:      Tue, 6 Feb 1996 16:32:53 -0700
From:      Nate Williams <nate@sri.MT.net>
To:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
Cc:        nate@sri.MT.net (Nate Williams), rkw@dataplex.net, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: On keeping a src tree

> > > I use "cvs diff" (I admit that this has only recently worked;
> >
> > Hmm, it's worked since day one for me.
>
> It's failed since day one for me.  Of course I started at 2.0.5 and I
> don't "make world" often because I am a kernel hacker, not a utility
> hacker.  8-).

Hmm, I started with FreeBSD 0.9, and it's always worked for me.  But, I
also am a utility hacker and realize when certain things must be updated
in order to keep my tools working. :)

> Specifically, a CVS update with a changed tree failed when the rev on
> the checked-out, changed file was not the same as the updated rev of
> the same file in the tree.

How can this happen?  When you modify a file, neither the CVS entry nor
the ID changes, so they should be in sync.  When an update occurs, CVS
attempts to 'patch' the modified file with the changes that were made in
the baseline tree.  If that patch fails to apply cleanly, then cvs
doesn't fail but informs you the user that you must manually fix the
problems since it can't be done automatically.  Is this the 'failure'
you speak of?

> Gross, disgusting, and time consuming.

Necessary to keep things in sync, since it can't be automated.

> I went from a 2.0.5-Release CVS to -current and it fixed it; whatever.
>
> It wants me to install the new headers for the MD5 stuff that the client
> and server use to validate.  Specifically, it wants "struct MD5Context",
> which I don't have one of, not having rebuilt the world.

I thought you went to -current?  In any case, in the same manner that
you must libkvm when the kernel changes to have working tools, you must
also rebuild libraries such a libmd when the tools which need them are
modified.

Even kernel hackers should be able to do this. :)

Nate