Date:      Wed, 29 Dec 1999 03:01:30 -0800 (PST)
From:      The Utz Family <utz@serv.net>
To:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   any pointers to a well annotated mss/wss register map?

hi;

as i mentioned on this list a few weeks back, i have been attempting (
with incremental success ) to get my CMedia CMI8330 recognized by the pcm
code in 3.3-RELEASE. it's an onboard isa-pnp chip that does MSS+. a few
months ago somebody posted a link to the code that somebody had created to
work with this chips smarter pci-aware brother, but i didnt get too much
comprehension out of that.

this has been pretty fun, and i have learned alot. i suspect that my time
may be wasted because i imagine that the code in 4.0 will
probably already know how to recognize my card, and so all of my hackery
in the old tree will be for naught other that to say 'i did it...' :-)

anyway, i have added a cmi8330_probe and cmi8330_attach and the probe
works ok, but the attach doesnt.

having hit a bit of a wall, i thought i might drop back a bit and see if
i could poke some of the 'standard' MSS registers, but i am having trouble
figuring out who they are because the mss code in the snd dir seems to
have a lot of special casing in it....

can anybody point me to a good 'fundamentals of the MSS instruction set'
somewhere?

tnx!

johnu