Date:      Tue, 26 Oct 1999 13:33:39 +0100 (BST)
From:      J McKitrick <jcm@dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   technical question about process loading

I don't know if this question belongs here or not, but i'll give it a
shot.  If i'm in the wrong place, let me know and i'll re-post elsewhere.

I just read something very interesting about Linux program execution, and
i was wondering how FBSD compares in this respect.

"The loading of a binary file into physical memory is not performed by the
binary loader under Linux.  Rather, the pages of the binary file are
mapped into regions of virtual memory.  Only when the program tries to
access a given page will a page fault result in the loading of that page
into physical memory."

Does FBSD have a similar mechanism?  If not, what advantages/disadvantages
does FBSD have?  The Linux method seems interesting and quite
efficient.

-jm