Date:      Fri, 28 May 1999 00:28:51 +1200
From:      Andrew McNaughton <andrew@squiz.co.nz>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   installing from a UFS partition.

I have a large IDE drive which I want to set up with 3.2-RELEASE.  I had
problems on a network install - it seemed to be working, but when I went to
boot up the new system it came up with the boot selection, but would not boot,
just giving me a beep whenever I pressed a function key (or any other).

I tried a second time with the same result.  Not wanting to wait for for a
complete download through a modem each time, I went into fixit mode and FTP'ed
the bin distribution onto the last partition on the drive.

I've tried going in to fixit mode in order to mount the partition with the bin
dist, so I can install from it, but this appears to get clobbered when I exit
the fixit shell.  I've had a go at doing it manually, and managed to extract
the bin distribution using the tools on the fixit disk (cat | ungzip | tar).
This looks like it's installed the system, but the boot loader is still not
getting as far as displaying the kernel loading help screen.

Can anyone tell me anything about what's going wrong, or about what I should
do from here?

Andrew McNaughton