Date:      Fri, 13 Feb 1998 23:29:05 -0600
From:      Chris Csanady <ccsanady@friley585.res.iastate.edu>
Cc:        Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Working (apparently) soft-update code available.

>I have gotten the following panic many times.  It seems to occur even
>when I do not have soft updates turned on for any of my file systems. :/
>
>panic: softdep_disk_io_initiation: read

Ok, I have found the problem.  You can not use the soft updates patches
with CCD's.  Even if you do not have them turned on for anything, the
panic still occurs.  This should be fairly reproducable, so I hope that
someone with a little more clue than myself can track down the problem.

I booted my system single-user with no CCD's, and played with an FS
with soft updates for quite a while.  It seems perfectly stable, and
it is damn fast. :)  Thanks again for the great work..

Chris