Date:      Fri, 6 Oct 2017 21:38:42 +0200
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        James Geering <j.geering@btinternet.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Cannot .configure WindowMaker 0.95.8 - Xmu lib issues

On Fri, 06 Oct 2017 13:16:41 -0400, James Geering wrote:
> Out of interested I wanted to try the more recent WindowMaker 0.95.8
> and
> downloaded the source from http://windowmaker.org/.  I followed the
> how-to
> of extract and configure steps but am having problems with .configure
> step.

This is not the standard way of installing software from
source on FreeBSD. If possible, use the ports collection.
You can use svn to get the lasted version (or portsnap,
if the snapshot version is sufficient).

> The script stops with the information:-
>
>   "checking for Xmu library... configure: error: library Xmu not found"
>
> however, Xmu library seems to be installed as reported by cd'ing to
> /usr/local/ports/x11-toolkits/libXmu/ and issuing "make install clean".
> The command reports the library is already installed.  Also I find the
> *.h
> at /usr/local/include/X11/Xmu.  However I cannot find a .lib file -
> should
> I be able to, and if so why does ports think it is installed.

The library files are /usr/local/lib/libXmu.so (symlinked to
the correct version) and /usr/local/lib/libXmu.a.

> Clearly, I am misunderstanding what the error message is telling me.

Maybe the configure script is Linux-centric and cannot properly
deal with the locations where FreeBSD locates the libraries?
Keep in mind this kind of software is being developed primarily
with Linux in mind, so don't expect portability. ;-)

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany