Date:      Sat, 1 Dec 2001 18:54:37 -0600 (CST)
From:      Nick Rogness <nick@rogness.net>
To:        cjclark@alum.mit.edu
Cc:        Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@starjuice.net>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Diagrams on natd?

On Sat, 1 Dec 2001, Crist J . Clark wrote:

> On Sat, Dec 01, 2001 at 06:23:21PM -0600, Nick Rogness wrote:
> > On Sat, 1 Dec 2001, Crist J . Clark wrote:

[SNIP]
> This is a common misconception. Blocking 53/tcp breaks queries too,
> but you don't see the problems it creates too frequently.

	Someone once mentioned that to me but I have never seen this
	behavior or read it anywhere (Oreilly,rev3).  Maybe you could
	explain.

> > > Second, you are better off doing this
> > > _before_ the divert(4) rule. You are better off _blocking_ packets
> > > before the divert(4) rule whenever possible. That is,
> > >
> > >   # ipfw add 40 deny tcp from any to 20.30.40.51 53 in via xl0
> >
> > 	I agree, however,that is OK if you know what your public IP
> > 	is.  In a natd-dynamic configuration.  This was written just prior
> > 	to the release of the "me" flag in ipfw (I Believe).
>
> OK,
>
>   # ipfw add 40 deny tcp from any to any 53 in via xl0
>
> Is fine too.
> --

	Yeh, It's been such a while, I'll have to make changes.  What's on
	that site is not exactly the way things should be done anymore.

Nick Rogness <nick@rogness.net>
 - Keep on Routing in a Free World...
  "FreeBSD: The Power to Serve!"