Date:      Mon, 4 Dec 2017 07:50:33 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd-rwg@pdx.rh.CN85.dnsmgr.net>
To:        Yuri Pankov <yuripv@gmx.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Getting PRs fixed

> >> I was just thinking about getting back into bug-busting for FreeBSD: a few
> >> years ago when we were using GNATS we had a team that did triage,
> >> follow-ups etc. that made some progress. Was that effort wound-down with
> >> the move to Bugzilla, or is the team still active?
> >>

> > ?I don't know about triage, as in determining priority for specific bugs,
> > but there is a team that goes through the bug database assigning bugs to
> > individuals and teams, and updating the Subject: line to better reflect the
> > issue in the bug.
>
> That's good and all, but in my quick walk through the current open PRs
> against base system, there are a lots of PR with patches that just lie
> there collecting dust, a lot of PRs that have been analyzed and should
> be closed as "not a bug" or simply being more suited to be asked on
> questions@, and I don't see how I'd get someone to actually look at them
> -- so it's not like there's no interest in fixing bugs -- the number of
> patches in bugtracker says there's a lot of interest, it's just somewhat
> hard to get patches integrated.

Part of that comes from often the patches are not correct, or not complete,
or cause breakage of some other form.  You just cant go take patches out
of PR's and commit them, this would probalby generate more bugs in the
long run than it could ever fix.

Even the experts break code in non subtle ways that often take years
to show up as a problem of some form.

I am not saying we should ignore PR's with patches, but we should not
just blindly go grabbing them for commits, what we need to do is get
those patches infront of the expert(s) in that area and get a quick,
yes, no, or needs work and reasoning for that to feed back into
the PR, so that a non field expert can then try to move the state
forward.

And again,

	"the rate of change of the source code == rate of PR's submitted"

We need to think about that, A LOT.   Thus leads to the fact that
any change in an attempt to fix a PR/bug has a high probabilty of
introducing another bug, or creating another PR.