Date:      Thu, 11 Jul 2002 22:41:30 -0400
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>, Dan Moschuk <dan@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Package system flaws?

At 10:00 PM -0400 7/7/02, Garance A Drosihn wrote:
>I think we try to stuff too much information into the name of a
>port, and we try to do too much to shoehorn all ports-processing
>into standard makefile variables and standard make-cmd processing.

To explain this a bit more, we sometimes get into a problem when
portAA needs portBB, and you:

      cd /usr/ports/*/portAA
      make
        -> make sees it needs to make portBB
        -> it does a  cd /usr/ports/*/portBB
        -> and does a 'make' there, but it still has a whatever
           make variables had been set for portAA, which you might
           *not* want to have set when making portBB.

I know I've hit this, but I can't remember the specifics, and I
know I have not hit it often.  Using portupgrade also probably
reduces the chance of this happening.

If I had more spare time, what I'd like to try my hand at is to
redo how all the port interactions are described in the Makefile.
Instead of doing that with makefiles and make-variables, do it
as makefile comments, and then have a separate program (not make
itself) figure out what other ports should be made based on that
information in the comments in the makefile.  Make would then
run that program as the first step towards making the port, and
run that program again as the first step towards 'make install'
of the port.

The way I described that it might sound a little hair-brained,
but I think it could be an improvement if done right.