Date:      Tue, 14 Jul 2009 12:53:42 -0800
From:      Mel Flynn <mel.flynn+fbsd.questions@mailing.thruhere.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: turning off the wireless network radio

On Tuesday 14 July 2009 12:28:40 Chad Perrin wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 14, 2009 at 12:20:25PM +0200, Maciej Milewski wrote:
> > Dnia wtorek 14 lipiec 2009 o 07:38:49 Chad Perrin napisa=C5=82(a):
> > > I'm having a real bitch of a time trying to figure out how to shut do=
wn
> > > the wireless adapter's radio.  The driver module won't unload as long
> > > as the adapter is active, and neither ifconfig nor iwicontrol are
> > > providing a solution either.
> > >
> > > I'm using (as you may have guessed by mention of iwicontrol) an Intel
> > > wireless adapter, with if_iwi.ko as my driver module.  It's an Intel
> > > PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network Connection according to pciconf -lv.
> > >
> > > Thanks in advance.
> >
> > You can try doing this by software switch:
> > sysctl -a | grep rfkill
> > dev.ath.0.rfkill: 0
> > This switch should disable radio.
> > I don't know if it is supported by iwi driver but you can try.
>
> At first glance, it looks like the iwi equivalent is dev.iwi.0.radio,
> where 1 is on and 0 is off.  It won't let me set it to 0, though,
> claiming it's a read-only sysctl setting.
>
> . . . and trying to set the debug.iwi sysctl setting to 1 caused the
> computer to reboot (not intended behavior, I'm sure).  Bah.  I wonder if
> there's something wrong with my driver.

There is plenty wrong with the driver, also with the product. Unfortunately=
,=20
Intel does not support the FreeBSD team with developers for the wireless ca=
rds=20
as they do with the wired cards and the iwi driver is particularly plagued.

At present the best working Intel wireless on FreeBSD is the wpi, but it is=
 on=20
the virge of the same fate as Benjamin Close is lacking time to support it.

There's a group of people working on improving iwn for the 5000 series, eff=
ort=20
spawned from this list, but as of yet I haven't seen anything hit the sourc=
e=20
tree.
=2D-=20
Mel