Date:      Mon, 22 Feb 1999 22:52:52 +0000
From:      Mark Ovens <marko@uk.radan.com>
To:        Adam K Kirchhoff <adamk@voicenet.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Not detecting PS/2 mouse

Adam,

I accidentally deleted your reply to my suggestions so I'm doing
this from memory, so excuse if I suggest something you've already
tried.

You mentioned that you'd not noticed a conflict. I rebooted with
``-c'' to check exactly what my config screen shows.

----Active Drivers--------------- 2 Conflicts ------
[snipped]
Input:
  PS/2 Mouse                   CONF   psm0  12  0x60
  Syscons console driver       CONF   sc0   1   0x60

and when PS/2 Mouse is selected, at the bottom of the screen it
shows:

Port Address : 0x60              Conflict Allowed
IRQ : 12

IIRC you said that the probe returned ``psm0: Not found at....''.
It isn't disabled in the BIOS is it?. Do you have a PS/2 keyboard
as well? I don't know if they cause conflicts (e.g. sharing a port
with the mouse) as my kbd is the old 5-pin DIN type.

The only other thing I can think of, which isn't going to be much
help I'm afraid, is that it's because it's a Compaq, proprietry
design and all that.