Date:      Tue, 7 Jul 1998 08:30:35 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Dan Busarow <dan@dpcsys.com>
To:        Paul Dekkers <psd@cgu.nl>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: replace linux by freebsd?

On Tue, 7 Jul 1998, Paul Dekkers wrote:
> I was just wondering if the 3com nic would work...
> I still use 2.2.1 you know... (maybe guy an upgrade???)

Which one?

> | address space and public space for about 20 sw developers.  Oh, it's
> | also acting as a firewall permitting only established TCP connections
> | incoming.  The client has a T1 connection and everyone is really happy
>
> did you use the standard firewall rules for this?

Started with the simple rules and fiddled with them a bit.

> | with the system's performance.  It is a P166 with 32meg but that is
> | probably overkill.
>
> did you use natd? were there any other services working on the machine?

Yep, running natd to get that private address space onto the net.
It runs sendmail and bind.  Think that's about it for services.

> I have a new powerr supply, is that what you mean?
> I also replaces one of the network cards. Can it cause crashes like these?

No, was there an electrical storm that could have sent a surge
into the computer?  Asked since you needed to replace the PS and
NIC at the same time.  I'd be suspect of the mother board and
CPU.

Dan
--
 Dan Busarow                                                  949 443 4172
 DPC Systems / Beach.Net                                    dan@dpcsys.com