Date:      Fri, 3 Sep 1999 12:02:27 -0700
From:      John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j@efn.org>
To:        heinig@hdz-ima.rwth-aachen.de
Cc:        BSD Bob <bsdbob@weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu>, freebsd-sparc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Status of FBSD sparc porting?

Gerald Heinig scribbled this message on Sep 3:
> 1) Is it better/more sensible to use the NetBSD code or even Linux stuff to
> find out how to do things or is it better to get your own docs and solve the
> problem yourself? Personally, I'd much prefer to "roll our own", although
> it's probably far more work and considerably more difficult. However, we'd
> all learn more that way. Anyone have any ideas on this?

well, if you followed suite, dfr based the alpha port off of netbsd
code...  which seems to of work pretty well...

[...]

> 3) Is there a rough overview of what happens and where, when the FreeBSD
> kernel starts up? I'm looking for something like the description of the
> Minix source code in Andrew Tanenbaum's "Operating systems: design and
> implementation". The book by Karels/McKusick/Bostic/Quarterman is too
> high-level (ie. not enough detail) and the source code is too much detail.
> Does something like this exist?

the FreeBSD kernel starts up in sys/kern/init_main.c... the function
that starts everything off used to be call main, but it was reciently
changed to mi_startup (r1.120)... that function is basicly just a sort
function to sort all the sysinit's and then run them...  (hmmm.. that's
right, I was going to write a function to start up sysinit's so that we
didn't have the code duplicated in the kld loader)...

so, REALLY what you need to do is look at the order in which the
sysinit's get run...

[...]

--
  John-Mark Gurney				Voice: +1 541 684 8449
  Cu Networking					  P.O. Box 5693, 97405

  "The soul contains in itself the event that shall presently befall it.
  The event is only the actualizing of its thought." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson