Date:      Wed, 09 Apr 1997 12:57:12 +0300
From:      Nadav Eiron <nadav@barcode.co.il>
To:        kuma <kuma@mathlab.sunysb.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: panic

kuma wrote:

> On Mon, 7 Apr 1997, Nadav Eiron wrote:

   [snip]
> Nadav:
> help pliz, i tried the second method.
> I commented the wd1 and switched wd2 to wd1 in kernel config. file
> and i switch all the wd2 to wd1 in /etc/fstab.  In /etc/fstab, there are
> wd2s1f, wd1a, wd2s1?, wd2s1?, and i switched all wd2 to wd1, is that
> right?? or i only switch the wd1a one to wd2a??
>
> I got this message after i change kernel config and fstab.
> "can't stat /dev/wd1s1f: No such file or directory"

You'll have to make device nodes. Boot your old kernel (by typinh
1:wd(2,a)/kernel.old), and go to the /dev directory. There, make sure
that the wds1? devices exist. If they don't use MAKEDEV to make them.

> does that mean it can't find wd1s1f?? but i did switch the wd2s1f to
> wd1s1f in /etc/fstab

*Everything* should be wd1s1?. You simply don't have the device nodes
for them. This is a very *small* problem that is solved, as I just
described, by cerating the device nodes with MAKEDEV. I think "./MAKEDEV
wd1" will be enough, but I'm not at my FreeBSD box now, so I can't be
sure. At worst, you'll have to specify to it the exact name of the
device nodes you want it to generate.

> Thanks for help!!!!!
> Mark
You're welcome,