Date:      Thu, 12 Feb 1998 09:08:38 +0900 (JST)
From:      hosokawa@ntc.keio.ac.jp (HOSOKAWA Tatsumi)
To:        andrew@squiz.co.nz
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG, hosokawa@ntc.keio.ac.jp
Subject:   Re: Alternatives to cron (was Re: PCMCIA Card Config)

In article <v02120d07b107a403f67f@[203.96.56.128]>
andrew@squiz.co.nz writes:

>> The problem is broader than just laptops.  I have another process in mind
>> which _must_ go ahead every night, but needn't be at an exact time.  cron
>> doesn't handle this well if the server goes down briefly at the wrong
>> moment, or in rare cases has too high a load and misses a cron job.

A few years ago, I considered about cron alternative (or cron
extention) that can manage such environment.  It kicks machine from
suspended mode and execute programs, and sleeps again when it finished.

The reason why I gave up this adea is, there's no generic way to kick
the suspended machine.  But, now, PC has APM 1.2 standard, and it can
set system wakeup time.  If apm driver supports APM 1.2, I think this
function (and cron alternative) would be useful in green desktop
environment (rather than laptop environment).

--
HOSOKAWA, Tatsumi
Network Technology Center