Date:      Mon, 2 Dec 2002 22:01:28 -0500 (EST)
From:      Peter Leftwich <Hostmaster@Video2Video.Com>
To:        Adam Weinberger <adamw@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        FreeBSD LIST <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: File Counts

On Mon, 2 Dec 2002, Adam Weinberger* wrote:
> >> (12.02.2002 @ 1826 PST): Peter Leftwich said, in 1.4K: <<
> > Here's another way I don't see listed:
> > $ find . -type f | wc -l
> > This means "find, starting right here, all files here and in subdirectories
> > - then pipe the output through word count just the lines."
> >
> > You'd think FreeBSD would have a command similar to ls, df, du or a flag to
> > the find command such as "-countitems" or something.
> Why, when it's so simple to just type out "find|wc -l"? Peter, UNIX

If you type "find" with nothing else, this generates a stderr (duh).

> would be ghastly if a new command were made for every simple thing

I was not suggesting a new command.  I was educating in a friendly way.

> anybody wanted to do. Instead of complaining about how FreeBSD doesn't

I was not complaining.  My comment was meant to draw a paralell or
attention to the disparity between unix and Windows' File Explorer (which
constantly lists in the status bar at the bottom, # of files, total
filesize(s) and so forth).

> have a command to do something, why not just make an alias?

We all know how to make aliases, and the original poster is not Peter
Leftwich.

> # Adam
> Adam Weinberger
> vectors.cx	>>	adam@vectors.cx
> FreeBSD.org	<<	adamw@FreeBSD.ORG
> Bayer Berkeley	>>	adam.weinberger.b@bayer.com
> #vim:set ts=8: 8-char tabs prevent tooth decay.

*From the bottom of my heart, you are kindly invited to shut the F up and
leave my posts alone.

--
Peter Leftwich
President & Founder, Video2Video Services