Date:      Mon, 22 Oct 2001 17:33:14 -0700
From:      Edwin Culp <eculp@EnContacto.Net>
To:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Preferred device for ogle DVD is /dev/racd0c ?

I'm running current with devfs son I just adjust everything in the
script that I use to call ogle or mplayer by checking to see if I have
a link to /dev/dvd or /dev/racd0c depending on which player and if not
I create the ln -s /dev/acd0c /dev/dvd or racd0c and then start the
player.  Works fine and I just don't worry about reboots etc.  Simple
solution for a simple problem:-)

ed

Quoting Oliver Fromme <olli@secnetix.de>:

| Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net> wrote:
|  > > Why? My DVD-player is at /dev/cd0c. So I'd prefer /dev/dvd.
|  >
|  > Because acd0c will work for the most people out of the box. ATAPI DVD
|  > drives outnumber SCSI ones by at least 10:1 and probably more like
|  > 100:1 if not 1000:1. I'd rather limit the number of people who are
|  > inconvenienced then make the inconvenience equal.
|
| It would be very nice to have a fallback mechanism, so that
| it would try /dev/cd0c if /dev/acd0c returns "device not
| configured", and maybe even /dev/acd1c (a lot of people
| seem to have a CD-ROM drive _and_ a DVD-ROM drive).
| But I guess that's asking for too much ...
|
| Well, it's probably best to let the default be /dev/acd0c
| which seems to be the most common one by far.  As long as
| you can change the default via command line option, so you
| can share the binary between machines with different types
| of drives, I'm happy with anything.  :-)
|
| Just my 0.02 Euro.
|
| Regards
|    Oliver
|
| --
| Oliver Fromme, secnetix GmbH & Co KG, Oettingenstr. 2, 80538 München
| Any opinions expressed in this message may be personal to the author
| and may not necessarily reflect the opinions of secnetix in any way.
|
| "All that we see or seem is just a dream within a dream" (E. A. Poe)

---