Date:      Sun, 18 Feb 1996 21:24:42 -0300 (EST)
From:      "Lenzi, Sergio" <lenzi@cwbone.bsi.com.br>
To:        "Brian J. McGovern" <mcgovern@spoon.beta.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: tc* questions...

On Sun, 18 Feb 1996, Brian J. McGovern wrote:

> I have been playing with tcgetattr and tcsetattr with some reasonable
> success. However, I'm now curious how to do it the "right" way.
>
> What flags should I set to put a terminal in such a mode so that
> characters aren't echo'ed, and characters typed are returned
> immediately? I've played with ECHO, CLOCAL, and ICANON to some success.

use the c_lflags &= (~ECHO | ~ICANON)
        c_cc[VMIN]=1;
	c_cc[V_TIME]=1;
after...
	tcsetattr(file_handler,TCSANOW,&termios)

I prefer:

	if (fork() == 0) {
		execlp("stty","stty","-echo",
			"-icanon",
			"time","1",
			"min","1",
			"clocal",NULL);
	}
	wait(NULL);

> What flags should I set for a modem for a "normal dialout"?
> ie - port doesn't echo (the device will echo the characters)
>    - characters should be read() immediately (again, no waiting for CR)

-echo, -icanon,min 1, time 1.

> Any changes for inbound calls?

I use the ttydx device with a direct rs232 cable and a modem initialized
with:
at&c1&d2s0=1&w

> Lastly, is there any way to directly look at some of the line signals (CD,DTR,
> etc)?

there is an ioctl in the termios.h....