Date:      Wed, 6 Feb 2002 23:46:28 -0500
From:      Mike Barcroft <mike@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>
Cc:        Joe Kelsey <joe@zircon.seattle.wa.us>, obrien@FreeBSD.ORG, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: gcc3.x issues

Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org> writes:
> 2:  We need to get a *basic* compiler up and running first.  Give David
>     a break, ok?  There are far bigger problems to deal with first before
>     futzing around on obscure languages that we have no critical need for
>     in the base system.  We ***NEED*** the ability to compile basic C code
>     for the sparc64, ia64 and x86-64 platforms.  Until that is dealt with,
>     the rest is a luxury.

Yes, absolutely.  Every minute David spends replying to these idiotic
suggestions wastes valuable project time.  How many FreeBSD users need
to compile Java to machine code?  2, 3, 4 people?  How hard is it to
use `pkg_add -r' and rearrange your PATH to make a stock GCC work?

Best regards,
Mike Barcroft