Date:      Thu, 24 Jul 2003 11:03:15 -0600
From:      Scott Long <scottl@freebsd.org>
To:        Josh Brooks <user@mail.econolodgetulsa.com>
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: aaccli: what kind of disk is it ?

Josh Brooks wrote:
> I have studied the help/usage for aaccli for quite a while, and I cannot
> figure out how to do two things:
>

> a) how can I determine the actual, real size of the disk ?  For instance,
> I have some 36gig drives that are 36.8 gigs unformatted size, and some
> that are 36.4, and so on - if I want to buy a replacement drive to, say,
> rebuild a mirror, I have to get one that is the same size or larger - so
> how, in aaccli, can I see the actual unformatted size of that disk ?
>
> b) the type of disk it is ... this would be good enough that I wouldn't
> need (a), since I could just look it up on the `net.  Is there a way to
> see the manufacturer ID string from aaccli - the string that I am shown in
> the BIOS and when the system boots ?
>
> thanks!!

Try using the aaccli command 'disk list /full'.  That will give you the
vendor, model, and revision numbers from the standard inquiry
information.  It will also tell you how many sectors (blocks) the disk
has.  However, I'm not 100% sure if this number is completely accurate;
drives that have been initialized by the adapter have their first 128
sectors reserved.

Another path for determining this information would be to enable the
'aacp' device.  This will present all of the physical disks behind the
card as SCSI 'passthrough' devices.  You can then use camcontrol(8) to
send standard SCSI command like INQUIRY to the disks and verify their
response.

Scott