Date:      Wed, 25 Aug 1999 05:51:11 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        dillon@apollo.backplane.com (Matthew Dillon)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Possibility of increasing default MAXPARTITIONS from 8 to 16

>     What I would really like to do is to increase the number of
>     partitions allowed in a disklabel.  I really dislike having to
>     mess with fdisk.
>
>     The system defaults to 8.  sys/diskslice.h seems to imply that
>     you can compile up a kernel with a higher number.

it looks you also have to change at sys/sys/disklabel.h and update the
struct disklabel ? But you are right that the struct looks easy to
change and we can go up to 22 partitions and remain within 512 bytes
(seems there are 16 bytes/partition in struct disklabel, whereas struct
diskslice seems not to pose problems.

only thing to look at could be the boot blocks to be sure that they
don't limit to read only the first 276 bytes (or if they do, you can't
boot after the 8th partition).

>     The structure appears to be backwards compatible.
>
>     The question I am putting to the group is whether it is "time" for us,
>     with today's large disks, to increase the system-compiled default
>     from 8 to 16 partitions.  Instead of a-h we would have a-p

i guess one should try to increase to the max that fits a sector i.e 22

	luigi