Date:      Fri, 28 Aug 1998 16:32:13 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Nick Hibma <nick.hibma@jrc.it>
Subject:   subr_autoconf.c

What is the reason that subr_autoconf.c is UNUSED? NetBSD uses these
config_found functions to determine the devices that can be found after
a certain element has been attached to like, a pcibus implies the
probing pci devices that are compiled in.

My problem is that the NetBSD USB code uses this mechanism. Allthough I
am not convinced that that way of specifying the device driver to attach
to is according to the USB specs but it is certainly the most
straightforward way of doing it in their case.

Is there in FreeBSD a general mechanism to attach devices? Do the
ISA, EISA and PCI bus code all implement their own way of handling
things?

USB is supposed to use ad hoc mechanisms to load drivers. Based on the
descriptor the device returns you can select the appropriate one, either
a device specific one (such and such mouse, even down to serial number)
or a general driver (mouse? Give it to me). In the end of course I plan
to implement everything with LKM drivers loading and unloading at status
change on the hub endports.

Nick

--
building: 27A
address:  STA-ISIS, T.P.270, Joint Research Centre, 21020 Ispra, Italy