Date:      Sat, 14 Mar 1998 17:27:56 -0800
From:      Greg Shenaut <greg@bogslab.ucdavis.edu>
To:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: More problems with new slice code

In message <13009.889922009@time.cdrom.com>, "Jordan K. Hubbard" cleopede:
>> That sounds like a plan. :)  Thanks.  I merged the etc's on the machine
>> quite happily after the previous -STABLE upgrade, but skipped
>> /dev/MAKEDEV.  ah well..
>
>You'd hardly be the first to forget this - it's rather buried there
>under /usr/src/etc/etc.i386.

Actually, I've always wondered by MAKEDEV sits in /dev--of course,
there is now a considerable tradition for it, but doesn't it make
more sense to split it into a standard utility, "makedev", which
lives in /sbin, plus a standard-but-modifiable database which lives
in /etc called "devtab" and "devtab.local" or whatever?

-Greg