Date:      Mon, 7 Dec 1998 23:42:56 -0600
From:      "Brian C. Grayson" <bgrayson@marvin.ece.utexas.edu>
To:        Matthew Patton <patton@sysnet.net>, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: wild and crazy nfs mounts (on FreeBSD)

On Mon, Dec 07, 1998 at 05:19:06AM -0500, Matthew Patton wrote:
> I was setting up such a server which has the following layout and hit upon
> a nasty snag in the default /etc/rc.* series of scripts.
>
> sd0d /export/1 has FreeBSD and OpenBSD userland (./FreeBSD, ./OpenBSD/i386,
> ./OpenBSD/sparc, ./openBSD/alpha)
> sd0e /export/2 has Free and OpenBSD's src and ports trees (./FreeBSD/src,
> ./FreeBSD/ports etc.)
> sd1d /export/3 has common home directories and such
>
> so that my family of client machines mount /usr, /usr/src, /usr/ports and
> whatnot in a transparent fashion, I don't see how I can get away without
> loopback nfs mounting the latter 2 (on the server) if I want all machines
> to be laid out the same way. On the server I can cheat and symlink
> /export/1/uname to /usr. Though that is not ideal.

  Have you looked at non-NFS loopback mounts (mount_null)?  I
used them to mount /home/src as /usr/src etc. under NetBSD.
Unfortunately, I believe there was some sort of race condition
under NetBSD that caused occasional panics -- but maybe it has
been fixed (or never was a problem) for FreeBSD!

  Since it doesn't require NFS, it may alleviate some of your
ordering problems w.r.t. /etc/rc.

  I hope this helps!

  Brian