Date:      Wed, 9 Sep 2015 16:02:31 -0400
From:      Paul Kraus <paul@kraus-haus.org>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Storage question

On Sep 9, 2015, at 12:04, William A. Mahaffey III <wam@hiwaay.net> =
wrote:

> Hmmmm .... could you amplify on that point about no compression w/ =
MythTV ?

If MythTV is using any of the normal sorts of video files, they are =
already compressed. Asking ZFS to perform additional compression (even =
if just to figure out that it gains nothing) is a waste of cycles.

> This box will have 16 GB of RAM & 32 GB of swap, so I *think* I will =
be OK on RAM.

You should be fine with 16 GB RAM for a streaming box.

> I will probably stream video over my network most of the time, but =
might be using the ZFS as well .... I just got done copying the stuff =
fromhttps://wiki.freebsd.org/RootOnZFS/GPTZFSBoot/9.0-RELEASE verbatim =
into 2 shell scripts to automate the setup,

I would never follow any instructions verbatim unless they did _exactly_ =
what I needed. I will also point out that while there are only one set =
of instructions for 9.x, the necessary steps changed as the minor revs =
of 9 went by. The instructions tended to apply to the latest and if you =
did not have a cache of the older instructions and needed to recover an =
older release you were in trouble.

Follow the instructions through a few times by hand. Understand what =
they are doing and _why_, then script what _you_ need to do. For =
example, I never used as many different datasets under /var as indicated =
on that page. I just did not need that degree of control. You may need =
(or want) more.

> but if there are known issues w/ MythTV & ZFS+compression, more =
rethinking will be needed.

--
Paul Kraus
paul@kraus-haus.org