Date:      Mon, 30 Jul 2001 19:11:46 +0100
From:      "Mark Hughes" <mark@dvdnews.co.uk>
To:        "HULL Martin Z * DAS DOIT" <Martin.Z.Hull@state.or.us>, "'questions@FreeBSD.org'" <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: AMI HyperDisk 100 EIDE RAID

> Using the IWill KK266-R motherboard and two IBM EIDE drives configured as
> RAID 0 on the AMI HyperDisk100 controller that is part of the
motherboard.
> FreeBSD 4.3 cannot recognize the drive configuration at all.  First tired
as
> single disk on RAID because that is what Linux SuSE requires (but don't
> understand the logic of using one drive for RAID), that did not work
either.
> Can I possibly install FreeBSD on an EIDE RAID 0 configuration?  If so,
how?

If I remember correctly, these "pseudo-RAID" chipsets/cards are only
supported as standard ATA100 IDE controllers in FreeBSD at this time, not
as full RAID controllers, as they require software interaction to work. I
seem to remember this being the case for the Highpoint 370 controllers
popular on motherboards.

I could be wrong, of course. Check the hardware compatibility list for the
release you are using.

Regards,
Mark