Date:      Mon, 2 Sep 2002 14:30:02 -0400
From:      David Banning <david@skytrackercanada.com>
To:        Unix Tools <unixtools@hotmail.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: logs take up too much space

Thanks for your reply.

> It seems your var partition is vary small.
yes

> just symlink directories on /var
>
> 1) mv /var/tmp /usr and ln -s /usr/tmp /var/tmp
done

> 2) mv /var/mail /usr and ln -s /usr/mail /var/mail
done

> 3) mv /var/log /usr and ln -s /usr/log /var/log
I didn't do this becuase I figured that I then couldn't get logs while
running in single user mode - which I rarely do, but I didn't want to
set myself up for trouble. I guess I could always delete the link, and
create the directory for single user mode, if I need to go there.

> Rotating logs is also a solution.
> But most of the softwares rotate logs by default.
Is it possible to change the default?