Date:      Tue, 23 Oct 2001 01:37:38 -0400
From:      Brian T.Schellenberger <bts@babbleon.org>
To:        "John Smith" <ludwicza@hotmail.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: colors really dark

On Tuesday 23 October 2001 01:04, John Smith wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm a bit of a new user to FreeBSD, but I'd like to know why is it that
> colors seem very dark in editors like vim even when the TERM variable is
> set properly?  I'm using xterm-color in xterm, and cons25 in the console,
> it just seems *alot* darker than what I had in linux.  This goes for things
> like BSD ls and vim.  Any suggestions on making it brighter or prettier
> without having to mess with the vim config?  I compiled vim on both Linux
> and FreeBSD right from source, using all default settings, and the colors
> look *alot* different with syntax highlighting on between both systems.
>
> If anyone knows how to fix this, please let me know.  Thanks

Compare your XF86Config files.  Since both systems use X, they should be the
same (assuming the same version of X).
 Perhaps you are using 8-bit color mode somehow?

Of course that doesn't explain the console . . .
Can you go back & forth from Linux to FreeBSD or did you wipe Linux?
It's not possible that you accidentally altered your monitor settings or
something silly like that is it?

Brian T. Schellenberger . . . . . . .   bts@wnt.sas.com (work)
                                        http://www.babbleon.org

-------> Free Dmitry Sklyarov!  (let him go home)  <-----------