Date:      Fri, 7 Aug 1998 07:54:37 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        nate@mt.sri.com (Nate Williams)
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com, nate@mt.sri.com, reilly@zeta.org.au, tom@uniserve.com, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Heads up on LFS

> On the palm pilot, you couldn't allocate 1M of stuff in that short of
> time. :)
>
> (The stuff I'm allocating is about 500-1MB/object, so your point is
> truly moot.  Especially considering the footprint of my entire program
> is around 60-70MB.)
>
> Don't ask like an expert on something you have no idea on.

You shouldn't either -- 60-70M footprint code won't run on a pilot, so
the point about the size of your code is rather moot as well.

> ps. There is no *real* Java on a pilot, and as such they're GC scheme
> could be much different than the current scheme, though I doubt it would
> make much difference.

Tim Wilkerson's Kaffe code will run on a DOS machine in less memory than
is available on a Palm pilot.

In addition, the unslotted RAM on an unexpanded Pilot is sufficient
for a JVM implementation in an EEPROM, since the pinout is equal to
that of amny EEPROM parts.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---