Date:      Thu, 8 Apr 1999 15:12:56 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>, advocacy@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Data Communications Magazine article

On Wednesday,  7 April 1999 at 22:31:46 -0600, Wes Peters wrote:
> Mr. Lee Bruno,
> Data Communications Magazine
>
> Re: your April 7, 1999 article "Open-Source Software: Power to the People"
>
> Mr. Bruno,
>
> I read the referenced article with great interest and care.  I am
> pleased to see such even and fair coverage of Open Source software,
> and am particularly pleased to see your mention of BSD systems, often
> overlooked by your colleagues in the popular computing press.
>
> I would like to provide you with some additional information on the
> wealth of openly available software for BSD systems.  Your article
> missed some relatively important functionality that your readers may
> need in order to make informed decisions about what BSD systems may do
> for them.

Hmmm.  How about:

  It's often difficult to research such articles, and it's possible
  that you may not have been aware of some relatively important
  functionality that your readers may need in order to make informed
  decisions about what BSD systems may do for them.

> Paid professional support is available for the FreeBSD operating
> system from FreeBSD Mall; details are available at
> http://www.freebsdmall.com/.  Each of the Open Source BSD operating
> system groups also offers lists of consultants familiar with BSD
> systems; many of these can provide professional support on an ad hoc
> basis

"Ad hoc" sounds negative.  How about "individual"?

> as well.  All are supported through the usual mail and web resources
> as mentioned in your article.

> Linux does have a 2 GByte filesystem, ext2fs, but this limitation has
> never hampered BSD systems.

Yes it has.  As you say yourself, it's been "for years".  IIRC In
4.3BSD the limit was 2 GB.

> *** Need to quote maximum file and filesystem sizes here. ***

I don't think we can.  File systems can be more than 100 GB, and you'd
have to calculate the maximum file size.  It depends on the (square
of) the block size.

> *** Need a good reference for Vinum here.  At a minimum, we
>     can point him at http://www.lemis.com/vinum.html if OK
>     with Greg Lehey.  ***

What's wrong with that?  Should I update it?  I suppose that question
answers itself.  Anyway, you (or anybody else) are welcome to quote
it.

Greg